Friday, 6 September 2013

Positive Progress

One week to go! We have done so much already, but it does feel like an impossible feat to finish everything so I'm sure there will be a few things to make do with until after the honeymoon. Of course there are things like solar panels and a wood burning stove that we have always intended to fit later this winter and add to next year so we understand that it can't all be done at once.

Since the countdown began Ryan has finished welding and repairing the cab which was all in a terrible state, and it even now has a beautiful coat of white paint. This was Ryan's first attempt at welding and with the amount he had to do he's now quite the expert! His Dad helped us out again and even had to make some new brackets for the bumper as the old ones were almost completely gone due to the rust. Many hours of grinding, welding, fibreglass and fillering and sanding ensued.

After all of their hard work Waki thankfully passed her MOT, I must admit it was slightly terrifying to watch them lift her up on the ramp! See below for the progress pics on the rust battle:
The rust on the arch and drivers door

More rust by the bonnet
A lot more rust, it's a wonder the bumper had stayed on!
New metal
Repaired area by bonnet
The other side of the bonnet also repaired
White paint at long last

Whilst all of that's been going on I've been very busy inside, we now have cupboard doors to keep all of our things where they belong and have bought a plate rack and cup holders etc to help stow those items safely and efficiently. The kitchen cupboard doors are made from recycled pieces of tongue and groove cladding left over from the ceiling. I made a frame with some new bevelled wood to finish them off, and even managed to re-use the triangular off-cuts from cutting the frame to shape as the door handles!
The kitchen cupboards made from recycled wood 

I panelled the storage box in the living room (destined for our shoes) which used to be another seat, and we have the new worktop cut to size just awaiting the supports to hold it above the snake tank and give us room for our printer and other technology.

I have also panelled and painted the new rear locker box that used to be under the bunk beds with access from outside for tools and wheel chocks etc. We've kept the access the same as it is very useful but instead of beds on top it will have another much needed kitchen worktop with cupboards and drawers in it for our bins and saucepans. I measured the rear luggage shelves against our bags and bike helmets so that we make the best use of the space so they are now up and secured in place ready for the rest of the wardrobe/kitchen worktop combo.

Yesterday I got the supports for the worktop in place so will continue that job today, as well as finalising the wedding arrangements, making decorations and squeezing in a painting commission before we go.... so I better get on with it then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment